Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Wanted: Octopus

For My free read, I chose The marine Aquarium Reference. The reason I am interested in this book is because I have a saltwater aquarium in my room with many fish and corals. I thought this book would be great to refer to when I'm setting up my larger tank later this week.  The theme is fish and aquatic life, and I learned many new things about filter systems, fish, and many neat facts.

Although I got this book for reference, I had a crazy discovery. As I'm flipping through this book I see the octopus section. Right when I saw this, I was dead set I wanted an octopus. Big eyes with 8 wavy tentacles for arms and legs luring in the dark cave of my home aquarium would be a fun thing to experience and be able to watch every day.  Since I'm very interested, I keep reading, "The most Common Octopus in marine trade is the Blue ringed Octopus", which has a poisonous bite that is fatal for humans if bitten.  So I start thinking...and reading on about the octopus.

The Octopus is an escape artist, squeezing through unsealed aquariums flopping on the floor, looking for sleeping prey. The Octopus is a nocturnal invertebrate that feeds in the night, and with his venomos bite is eager to escape. The fact that he is looking for prey with a bite that could kill me while I'm fast asleep made me veer off the octopus obsession rather abruptly!  Although octopus are fascinating sea creatures,  I dont think there rightful home is in an aquarium, and I don't think I could sleep in my house with the fear in my mind that any noise in the night could be an octupus on the prowl. I can see the headlines now,  "Octopus on the loose and tentacle mark tracks have the cops looking at 1520 Ingleside Dr. from where it came from.... uh oh!

8/20- 30 min- Marine Aquarium Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 1-39
8/21- 15 min- Marine Aquarium Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 39-55
8/23- 1 hour - Marine Aquarium Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 55-107
8/24- 15 min- Marine Aquarium Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 107-205
8/25- 20 min- Marine Aquarium Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 205-215
8/26-1 hour- Marine Aquariums Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 215-290

8/27-30 min-Marine Aquariums Reference,Martin Moe Jr. Pg 290-311
8/28-15 min-Marine Aquariums Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 311-328
8/29-1 hour-Marine Aquariums Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 328-381
8/30-30 min-Marine Aquariums Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 381-410
9/1-20 min-Marine Aquariums Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 410-428
9/2-45 min-Marine Aquariums Reference, Martin Moe Jr. Pg 428-460

1 comment:

  1. The book you are reading right now seems to be really interesting. I always had like pet golfish and things like that but i never had a saltwater aquarium!I would love to own one and have a live octopus in it!

    ReplyDelete