Monday, September 10, 2012

The Outsiders

        This week I chose to start a new book, The Outsiders. I chose The Outsiders because Bennett and I did a project together, and his book seemed  interesting. The Outsiders is about a guy named Ponyboy, who lives in the ghetto and has never really experienced life outside of this neighborhood. The "Socs" are a rich kid gang that is running the neighborhood. One of the "Socs" comes after Ponyboy, and in self defense he stabs the gang member.

Starting this book, made me reflect on how lucky I am to live in a safe neighborhood where violence is absent. Many of  Ponyboy's friends are taught man hood through gang life, while we cant learn it through sports. Yet you can still be tough through sports, its a good way to meet friends, and hang out with them, and learn sportsmanship. While in a gang with guns, knifes, and drugs, they're taught a total opposite masculinity than we are.

1 comment:

  1. I also read this book and it was one of my favorite books but these children were very unfortunate. It makes you really appreciate how lucky you are and how good your life is.

    ReplyDelete