Monday, April 8, 2013

Umbrella-Rihanna ft:Jay-z and reading details

Putting aside the obvious repetition through the words "ella" and "ay", there was much more poetic devices than I thought in this song. With this being a familiar song to me I never could've related it with poetry. Although as I studied the lines ("Because when the sun shines, we'll shine together,Told you I'll be here forever, Said I'll always be your friend Took an oath, I'ma stick it out to the end. Now that it's raining more than ever. Know that we'll still have each other, You can stand under my umbrella.You can stand under my umbrella") Just by scanning these two sections, I found that the repetition within the same line such as "shine" makes Rihanna tell her listeners that her love with her boyfriend will shine through anything such as the sun. On the next like the line " Told you ill be here forever" is a hyperbole because she's expressing her love by using a figure of speech or in this case, exaggerating. Next, the following line uses alleteration through the "You can stand under my umbrella.You can stand under my umbrella"

Next, by closely reading and marking up the lines above it made me put together what the whole song was trying to say. As i kept reading/listening, putting aside the metaphors ex.("You have my heart"), and personification such as ("When the world has dealt it's cards"), I found a huge symbol that was there the whole time. Through the constant repetition and stress on the word "Umbrella" I found that the umbrella stands for the security of their relationship. When the sun is shining, there shiing together. And when its pouring, they'll still have each other. Throughout the song its clear to me that with each other they can do anything and when times get tough they'll seek security (together) under her umbrella. 

Lyrics are taken from -http://www.metrolyrics.com/umbrella-lyrics-rihanna.html

Reading Details3/3/13 Mocking Jay - Suzanne Collins- 1 hour
3/5/13 Mocking Jay- Suzanne Collins- 1 hour and 30 minutes 
3/6/13 Mocking jay- Suzanne Collins 4 hours (Car ride Home, (FINISHED)

1 comment:

  1. WOW, you found a lot more things than I did doing this! Although I found the basic things that you mentioned you continued to look outside the box and find other things that many would have overlooked including myself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete