Sunday, October 28, 2012

Thesis Build

     The three short stories I read were, "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty, "The Endless Streetcar Ride into the Night and the Tinfoil Noose" by Jean Shepherd, and "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce. I really enjoyed reading all three of these stories. After I read them, I noticed that I can easily find parts of them that could potentially become part of a strong thesis. For, "A Worn Path" I focused on characterization to find my thesis. Phoenix Jackson is an elderly woman with physical and mental setbacks. However, in the end, she develops in to a heroic character. I think that the theme of this short story is that one must go through obstacles and hardships to reach their ultimate goal in the end.

     The next story I made a thesis for is, "An Occurrence at owl Creek Bridge". To Find this thesis I focused on Characterization and Setting to come up with one statement. The Author, Ambrose Bierce used strong, clear, and vivid details to bring the reader to the scene and paint multiple senses in the readers head.  Bierce described "The company" by using descriptive words such as "staring stonily" and "motionless". For the last short story, "The Endless Streetcar Ride into the Knight and the Tinfoil Noose", I couldn't create strong thesis for and saw no significance between the stories. Overall I think finding a thesis is easier then most think when looking deep into novels and short stories. This is important because certain themes and thesis' can teach us indirect life lessons we can appreciate forever.

Reading Times

Mocking Jay- 30 Minutes 
Mocking Jay- 15 Minutes
Mocking Jay- 15 Minutes
Mocking Jay- 1 Hour


4 comments:

  1. I also read "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge", and am writing my thesis statement on it. I think you seem like you have the necessary elements for a solid thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also doing the occurrence at owl creek. I have a question how is the thesis arguable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tad, you haven't posted in weeks. What's up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tad, I also read the endless street car one, I liked it a lot! I'm glad to know that you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete